How to Make Okonomiyaki with Chef Matt Cranert
- CLICK HERE TO WATCH EPISODE #5
Produced by XBMD Designs & Media
Creator/Producer Adhrucia Apana
Videography by Mychel Fox
Edited/Sound Production by Joshua Dean
Music by Faux Frenchman www.fauxfrenchman.com
Logo by Dave Sanders Jr.
Special thanks to the staff and owners & management of Quan Hapa: Duy & Bao Nguyen, David Le, & Billy Grise
~ Quan Hapa ~ 1331 Vine St
Cincinnati, OH 45202~
~ www.quanhapa.com ~
~ For reservations call: 513-421-7826 ~
2 medium size frying pans
Heat Resistant Spatula
1 cup “All Purpose Flour”
1/2 cup water
1/2 Head of green cabbage (or 1/2 cup chopped cabbage)
Ground black pepper
4 Tbsp Bacon fat (Butter can be substituted)
1) Start by mixing 1 cup of “All Purpose Flour” & 1 egg in a bowl with a whisk.
2) Add ½ cup of water as you combine egg & flour while stirring.
3) Core your head of cabbage and slice ½ a cabbage head long ways (about 1/2 cup).
4) Toss ½ cup of chopped cabbage in bowl with the Egg, Flour, & water mixture till evenly coated using a pair of tongs.
5) Add 2 pinches of Kosher salt & 3 grinds of fresh ground black pepper to mixture & toss.
6) Place 2 pans on your stovetop on medium high heat.
7) Add 3 tbsp. of bacon fat to hot pan & ladle a flat layer of the cabbage mixture into the pan.
Cook your pancake for 1 minute on each side till crispy. Use your spatula to pat down on your pancake for extra crispness!
9) Remove your pancake from pan and place on cutting board to cool.
10) Place a tbsp. of bacon fat in the other heated pan & crack an egg directly into a pan to fry.
11) Salt and Pepper your egg. Turn the heat off and allow egg to sit in pan.
12) Cut your pancake into equal squares & slide onto a serving plate.
13) Decoratively drizzle your pancake with a drizzle of Japanese Mayo (as MUCH or LITTLE) as you want and a drizzle of Okanumiyaki Sauce (Japanese Worchester).
14) Sprinkle pancake generously with salmon furikake.
15) Place your fried egg on top of your pancake.
16) Sprinkle pancake with chopped bacon and a pinch of finely chopped scallions.
Note: Since this episode aired, Chef Matt Cranert has moved kitchens & can now be found at M Woodfired Oven - M • 3514 Erie Avenue, Cincinnati, OH. • (513) 386-7783
Compiled by Adhrucia Apana
Edited by Ashiatey Kofi Tei